Indian Wooden Printing Block- Rainbow & Clouds
Size Approx: 9.5 x 6cm
about our blocks
Our Indian wooden printing blocks are hand carved on a Fairtrade project in Jaipur, India and are made using a sustainable wood known as sheesham. The designs are traced and carved onto the wood. The blocks are then left to soak in mustard oil for several days, this preserves the wood making it non-absorbent.
how to use a wooden printing block
- All of our wooden printing blocks can be used to hand print your own fabric, paper, card & clay.
- Printing on fabric: use a fabric paint or other medium to ensure the design is totally washable. Our fabric paints require heat setting with an iron to make permanent.
- Printing on paper & card: you can use a wide variety of paints. Ink pads aren't always wet enough to use with the printing blocks so we advise using paint such as acrylic .
- To ensure you get a good print, use a square piece of sponge or a dabber to apply your paint/dye/medium and a foam printing mat (or something soft) underneath the item.
- If you haven’t already please watch our video tutorial: How to use Indian Wooden Printing Blocks
- Our Essentials Printing Kit contains everything you need to get a good print.
caring for your blocks
Our blocks are made to last you a lifetime of printing, but it’s important to give them the love they deserve in between projects.
- Wash new printing blocks before using for the first time to remove any oils or dirt that may affect your printing success, the white paint from the surface will start to fade which will allow your printing block to hold the paint better.
- To clean your blocks between colours, just wipe with a dry rag to remove the colour, you can then apply a new colour.
- When finished, be sure to wash your wooden block under the tap with warm water and scrub all the paint out of the design with a nail brush.
- Ensure your printing blocks dry before packing them away.